While Google Home is still struggling to expand its library of commands; Alexa has already established a niche amongst the other digital assistant manufacturing companies. Till date, Alexa stands unbeatable when it comes to serve the humanity with its unique smart speakers: Echo, Dot and Tap, embossing a perfect amalgamation of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
You can get anything out of Alexa. Yes, Anything!!! But the trick is you must know how to ask Alexa. In other words, you must know the right command for the type of service you are asking for.
Alexa’s USP is, free availability of its APIs , which enable the third party Integrations of smart devices (Philips, Samsung etc) or voice services (like Dominos, Uber etc) so as to make Alexa, unsurpassed!!!!
To begin controlling Alexa, Let’s have a look at some basic Amazon Alexa commands and moving down further to some specialized commands.
Amazon Alexa Wake Command
Amazon Alexa is invoked by a wake word which is “Alexa” by default. It can be changed to “Computer”, “Echo” or “Amazon” as per user convenience. In case you have an Amazon Tap or a Fire TV, then you will need to press a button to wake Alexa.
Basic Settings and System Commands
You can just shout at Alexa as if she is your younger sibling!!!
- “Alexa, increase the volume”
- “Alexa, less sound”
- “Alexa, set volume to 6”
- “Alexa mute” or “Alexa, unmute”
- “Alexa, Stop”
Connecting via Bluetooth:
You can connect any device with your Echo speakers via Bluetooth and listen to the music as it starts streaming on Echo. In case, you have already paired the devices, just ask Alexa to connect.
- “Alexa, connect to my phone”
- “Alexa, Pair”
- “Alexa, disconnect my phone”
Time and Alarms:
You can ask Alexa about the current time, can set your timer and ask Alexa to wake you up at a particular time by setting an alarm. There can be many variations in the invocations for Amazon Alexa commands.
- “Alexa, what time it is?” or “Alexa, what’s the time?”
- “Alexa, set an alarm for 6 am.” Or “Alexa, Wake me up at 6 in the morning” or “Alexa Snooze”
- “Alexa, set a timer for 15 minutes”
- “Alexa, how much time is left on my timer”
- “Alexa, cancel Timer”
Shopping and to-do list:
Go on and shout at Alexa to add any item to your shopping list or add something to your to-do list.
- “Alexa, create a to-do.”
- “Alexa, add ‘dentist visit‘to my to-do list”.
- “Alexa, add an [event] to my calendar”
- “Alexa, add coffee to my shopping list”
News, weather and Traffic update:
Just cross-check from Alexa whether you want an umbrella today or not. Get the traffic updates before stepping outside. You can customize Alexa to get the latest news briefing from CNN or BBC etc.
- “Alexa, what’s in the news?”
- “Alexa, will it rain today?” or “Alexa, Will I need an umbrella today”
- “Alexa, what’s traffic like”
Amazon Alexa commands for Entertainment
Just tell Alexa your mood and I will play the music for you. You can stream your playlists or podcasts on Alexa. You can even connect to your Spotify, TuneIn, Amazon Prime, Pandora, iHeartRadio etc accounts.
- “Alexa, play on Spotify”
- “Alexa, play music by [artist]”
- “Alexa, play [radio-station] on TuneIn”
You can play audio books from Amazon Audible. You can pause and resume anytime you want. Your Kindle account can also be connected to Alexa.
- “Alexa, play [book-title] on Audible” or “Alexa, read [book-title]”
- “Alexa, next chapter”
- “Alexa, read me my Kindle book”
Here you can get all movie/ TV show related information, trivia, IMDb rating, cast etc.
- “Alexa, what is IMDb rating for Titanic”
- “Alexa, what is [actor] latest movie”
Commands for General Information
There are Amazon Alexa commands for basic mathematics as well. Alexa can do the calculations, unit conversion, speak out formulas etc.
- “Alexa, how many meters are in kilometer”
- “Alexa, what is 778 multiplied by 9”
- “Alexa, 5 factorial”
Spellings and Definitions:
It can also help you in building a great vocabulary or in preparing for some interview. You can ask her to spell out a word or define something and even as her to read out the Wikipedia
- “Alexa, How do you spell maintenance”
- “Alexa, what’s the definition for insomnia”
- “Alexa, Wikipedia: North Pole”
Get your favorite team’s score, results of a match or schedule from Alexa with some handy commands.
- “Alexa, Did the [team]win”
- “Alexa, give me my sports update”
- “Alexa, what are the NBL standings”
You can directly order from your Amazon account or put any item in your wish list or cart. Tracking of order can also be done by Alexa.
Not only shopping from your Amazon account, you can shop from various food shops as well such as Dominos, Pizza Hut, Shop flowers from 1-800 and can even ask for a cab from Uber or Lyft.
- “Alexa, ask Uber for a ride”
- “Alexa, order a shaving cream”
- “Alexa, ask Dominos to order one cheese burst medium size pizza”
Alexa as a Smart Home Assistant
Alexa has successfully integrated with various smart home devices platform companies such as Belkin WeMo, Nest, Philips, Samsung, SmartThings, Wink, Lutron, Insteon and many more. Some of the Amazon Alexa commands from the ever expanding list are:
- “Alexa, raise the temperature one degree” or “Alexa, set the temperature to 72 degrees”
- “Alexa, Lock my main door”
- “Alexa, connect to my phone”
- “Alexa, turn On the TV”
- “Alexa, turn on Netflix”
Skills are just like apps (SmartPhone). They are the third party integrations with Alexa. You can play games, track your phones, and order a pizza through dominos and many similar things. You just need to remember three commands.
- “Alexa, Open [skill]” – to use a Skill
- “Alexa, Enable [skill]”- to enable a skill
- “Alexa, disable [skill]”- to disable a skill
Haven’t tried an Amazon Echo yet? What are you waiting for Guys? Just order one and get ready to board a roller coaster Alexa ride powered by the wheels of Artificial intelligence Today!